Follow Alamodome Audible:
Author: Jared Kalmus – @JaredUTSA
The UT Board of Regents will vote on Karen Aston’s contract at UTSA this week. Here is the contract language that the BOR will be voting on. Huge, huge investment into the WBB program from Lisa Campos. Between her guaranteed salary, supplemental income, and performance benefits, it’s quite possible that UTSA’s women’s basketball coach will take home more money each year than the men’s basketball coach as Steve Henson’s salary is $325,000 per year.
Employment Agreement – U. T. San Antonio:
Approval of terms of Employment Agreement for new Head Women’s Basketball Coach Karen Aston
The following Head Women’s Basketball Coach Employment Agreement has been approved by the Chancellor, the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and the Vice Chancellor and General Counsel and is recommended for approval by the U. T. System Board of Regents. The terms of the Agreement were previously reviewed pursuant to Regents’ Rules and Regulations, Rule 10501, Section 2.2.12(a). If the Agreement is approved, total compensation for the contract period for Karen Aston will be in excess of $1 million. The Agreement references the Constitution and Bylaws of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, any intercollegiate athletic conference of which The University of Texas at San Antonio is a member, the Regents’ Rules and Regulations, and the policies of The University of Texas at San Antonio. A violation of the provisions of such constitution, bylaws, rules, regulations, or policies may be grounds for suspension without pay and/or dismissal.
Proposed: Guaranteed compensation
- April1, 2021 through March 31, 2022: $225,000 (plus a prorated amount for the period from March 29, 2021 through March 31, 2021)
- April 1, 2022 through March 31, 2023: $225,000
- April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024: $250,000
- April 1, 2024 through March 31, 2025: $250,000
- April 1, 2025 through March 31, 2026: $275,000
- April 1, 2026 through March 31, 2027: $275,000
Automobile: Option of one dealer car or $500 monthly allowance
Social club membership: A Country Club membership at a club to be determined by the University
Supplemental: $100,000 annually
Tickets: Eight tickets to conference championship and NCAA postseason championships
Moving Expenses: Not to exceed $15,000
Executive Housing: If requested, the University will provide temporary executive housing through May 29, 2021 at a rate not to exceed a maximum of $150 per night without written approval.
May 5-6, 2021 Meeting of the U. T. System Board of Regents – Consent Agenda Agenda Book – 146 Nonguaranteed compensation:
Team performance incentives: maximum of $183,000 annually
- (1) $10,000 in any contract year in which the team is the C-USA Regular Season Champion (including tie). If the conference plays a divisional format, bonus will be achieved if UTSA earns the overall No. 1 seed in the conference championship bracket.
- (2) $10,000 in any contract year in which the team makes an NCAA Tournament Appearance.
- (3) $10,000 in any contract year for each NCAA Tournament win.
- (4) $50,000 in any contract year in which the team wins the NCAA College Basketball Championship.
- (5) $3,000 in any contract year in which the team makes a postseason WNIT appearance.
- (6) $3,000 in any contract year each time the team has a win over a Power 5 program.
- (7) $5,000 in any contract year in which the Head Coach is named C-USA Coach of the Year.
- (8) $20,000 in any contract year in which the Head Coach is selected National Coach of the Year by any one or more of the following organizations: Naismith, WBCA, USBWA or AP.
- (9) $12,000 in any contract year in which the average paid home Women’s Basketball attendance for the season is greater than 1,000 people per game.
- (10) $5,000 in any contract year in which the average home Women’s Basketball student attendance for the season is greater than 500 students per game.
- (11) If in the first two contract years (April 1, 2021 through March 31, 2023), the women’s basketball team wins at least 10 Division 1 games in a season, Head Coach will receive $2,500. If, however, in the first two contract years (April 1, 2021 through March 31, 2023), the team wins at least 15 Division 1 games in a season, Head Coach will instead receive $5,000.
- For (9) and (10), Head Coach has discretion to use the Performance Incentive compensation for herself or to distribute to her staff.
Source of Funds: Intercollegiate Athletics
Period: March 29, 2021 through March 31, 2027
Want to see more or less content like this? Let us know with an upvote or downvote.
Share this post: